New Maestro 4250 toasted by firmware 4.60

Discussion in 'Magellan' started by Gary Eheman, Aug 14, 2008.

  1. Gary Eheman

    Gary Eheman Guest

    I bought a brand new Maestro 4250 that I received yesterday. Worked fine
    out of the box, located the satellites and identified where I was
    (standing by the house). The firmware out of the box was 2.24 (I think).
    So, I registered it at the Magellan website this morning and it says it
    has a new firmware update for me, level 4.60.

    I downloaded the update, followed the directions to the letter. Very
    early in the process after it started transferring data to the 4250, it
    threw up an error saying something to the effect "Source file not
    found." with an OK button. I clicked ok, and followed the directions on
    the screen. Result: one toasted 4250. It powers up to the System
    Settings screen, where you can set the language, etc, and proceed to the
    diagnostics and product info screen. The product info screen displays
    only the s/n now, and the rest of the fields are blank. No way to
    proceed to any other screens.

    I called their support number. The rep led me through their reset
    procedures. It is toast. Replacement unit from them will be here in 5-7
    days. I will say the rep was very helpful. It didn't take long to
    get to "it is toast".

    I sure hope the next update I try goes better than this. That 2nd free
    year of warranty because I am a AAA member is looking pretty good right
    about now.
    Gary
     
    Gary Eheman, Aug 14, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:18:32 -0400, Gary Eheman <>
    wrote:

    >I bought a brand new Maestro 4250 that I received yesterday. Worked fine
    >out of the box, located the satellites and identified where I was
    >(standing by the house). The firmware out of the box was 2.24 (I think).
    >So, I registered it at the Magellan website this morning and it says it
    >has a new firmware update for me, level 4.60.
    >
    >I downloaded the update, followed the directions to the letter. Very
    >early in the process after it started transferring data to the 4250, it
    >threw up an error saying something to the effect "Source file not
    >found." with an OK button. I clicked ok, and followed the directions on
    >the screen. Result: one toasted 4250. It powers up to the System
    >Settings screen, where you can set the language, etc, and proceed to the
    >diagnostics and product info screen. The product info screen displays
    >only the s/n now, and the rest of the fields are blank. No way to
    >proceed to any other screens.
    >
    >I called their support number. The rep led me through their reset
    >procedures. It is toast. Replacement unit from them will be here in 5-7
    > days. I will say the rep was very helpful. It didn't take long to
    >get to "it is toast".
    >
    >I sure hope the next update I try goes better than this. That 2nd free
    >year of warranty because I am a AAA member is looking pretty good right
    >about now.
    >Gary


    Gary,

    I'm also a AAA member. Tell me about the 2nd year free warranty deal,
    please!

    Thanks!
     
    Phil McCracken, Aug 14, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Gary Eheman

    Gary Eheman Guest

    On the magellangps.com site, when registering the new gps, it put up a
    screen saying AAA members could enter a coupon code to get the 2nd year
    and provided a toll free number to call to acquire a coupon code. I
    called. They confirmed my AAA member number, and gave me the code and
    I typed it in as directed. Simple.

    Seems like there was a small AAA related flyer in the box with the GPS
    that mentioned this, too.

    Phil McCracken wrote:
    >
    > Gary,
    >
    > I'm also a AAA member. Tell me about the 2nd year free warranty deal,
    > please!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
     
    Gary Eheman, Aug 15, 2008
    #3
  4. On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:51:14 -0400, Gary Eheman <>
    wrote:

    >On the magellangps.com site, when registering the new gps, it put up a
    >screen saying AAA members could enter a coupon code to get the 2nd year
    >and provided a toll free number to call to acquire a coupon code. I
    >called. They confirmed my AAA member number, and gave me the code and
    >I typed it in as directed. Simple.
    >
    >Seems like there was a small AAA related flyer in the box with the GPS
    >that mentioned this, too.
    >
    >Phil McCracken wrote:
    >>
    >> Gary,
    >>
    >> I'm also a AAA member. Tell me about the 2nd year free warranty deal,
    >> please!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>


    Thanks! Crap... I bought my Magellan last December and just joined
    AAA a week ago. Probably missed out on this deal.
     
    Phil McCracken, Aug 15, 2008
    #4
  5. Gary Eheman

    Guest

    On Aug 14, 6:29 pm, Phil McCracken <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:18:32 -0400, Gary Eheman <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Alo me What is the support number please?so tg
    >
    >
    >
    > >I bought a brand new Maestro 4250 that I received yesterday. Worked fine
    > >out of the box, located the satellites and identified where I was
    > >(standing by the house). The firmware out of the box was 2.24 (I think).
    > >So, I registered it at the Magellan website this morning and it says it
    > >has a new firmware update for me, level 4.60.

    >
    > >I downloaded the update, followed the directions to the letter. Very
    > >early in the process after it started transferring data to the 4250, it
    > >threw up an error saying something to the effect "Source file not
    > >found." with an OK button. I clicked ok, and followed the directions on
    > >the screen. Result: one toasted 4250.  It powers up to the System
    > >Settings screen, where you can set the language, etc, and proceed to the
    > >diagnostics and product info screen.  The product info screen displays
    > >only the s/n now, and the rest of the fields are blank.  No way to
    > >proceed to any other screens.

    >
    > >I called their support number. The rep led me through their reset
    > >procedures. It is toast.  Replacement unit from them will be here in 5-7
    > >  days.  I will say the rep was very helpful.  It didn't take longto
    > >get to "it is toast".

    >
    > >I sure hope the next update I try goes better than this.  That 2nd free
    > >year of warranty because I am a AAA member is looking pretty good right
    > >about now.
    > >Gary

    >
    > Gary,
    >
    > I'm also a AAA member.  Tell me about the 2nd year free warranty deal,
    > please!
    >
    > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -
     
    , Sep 2, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Joe
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    848
    net communer
    May 18, 2008
  2. Rickella
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    541
    Jerry Boyle
    Aug 21, 2008
  3. news.west.cox.net

    Magellan Maestro 4250 has upgrade available

    news.west.cox.net, Mar 19, 2009, in forum: Magellan
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    783
  4. jeannie

    problem with Magellan Maestro 4250

    jeannie, May 1, 2009, in forum: Magellan
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,269
  5. roberto

    Megallan maestro 4250 speaker

    roberto, Nov 27, 2012, in forum: Magellan GPS
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    389
    roberto
    Nov 27, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page