Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on

Discussion in 'Garmin' started by angusinalberta, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. I'll be phoning Garmin in the morning but in the meantime I'm wondering
    if anyone else has had this problem.

    The Etrex worked fine while I was x-country skiing today. I shut it off
    when I got back to the car.

    Half an hour later at home I plugged it into my laptop to download the
    track file. It refused to turn on. It's been sitting next to a heating
    duct for several hours to dry out any condensation and still won't turn
    on. I've also tried some of the reset tricks without success.

    Is this a common problem? Any simple fixes other than returning the unit
    to Garmin? BTW it's still on warrantee.

    Angus
     
    angusinalberta, Nov 9, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. angusinalberta

    Ted Guest

    angusinalberta wrote:

    > I'll be phoning Garmin in the morning but in the meantime I'm wondering
    > if anyone else has had this problem.
    >
    > The Etrex worked fine while I was x-country skiing today. I shut it off
    > when I got back to the car.
    >
    > Half an hour later at home I plugged it into my laptop to download the
    > track file. It refused to turn on. It's been sitting next to a heating
    > duct for several hours to dry out any condensation and still won't turn
    > on. I've also tried some of the reset tricks without success.
    >
    > Is this a common problem? Any simple fixes other than returning the unit
    > to Garmin? BTW it's still on warrantee.
    >
    > Angus

    I think the 60CSx's have an over-temperature shut-down. I had
    occasional problems when it had been in a hot stationary car. Fine once
    the car had been moving a couple of minutes but it shut down on switch
    on just on moving off. Never had the problem in the recent cooler
    weather.

    Ted
     
    Ted, Nov 9, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Re: Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 1

    angusinalberta wrote:
    >
    > I'll be phoning Garmin in the morning but in the meantime I'm wondering


    snip . . .


    I called the Garmin 800 number. The wait time was only about 5 min.

    The tech had me try the page/enter/on key sequence. Still no joy.

    So he gave me the number of their Canadian repair depot. It's now
    winging its way to Montreal via Priority Post in a miniature coffin made
    from a scrap piece of foam board.

    I hope that they'll tell me what had to be repaired. I'd guess it's a
    fault in the voltage regulator circuit, perhaps something simple like a
    cold solder joint that was destined to fail eventually. Daily
    temperature swings from +20C to -5 and back could have just accelerated
    the process. Or perhaps a chip, Does anybody know whether the Etrexes
    employ a dc/dc converter?

    Anyway I'm happy it failed at home rather than out in the woods. It's a
    good reminder that carrying a map and compass will become unnecessary
    only when our electronic gizmos achieve _perfect_ reliability, not
    99.9999% or whatever. I don't think that will ever happen, a least in my
    lifetime.

    So now to wait for Raytech Electronique to do their thing.

    Angus
     
    angusinalberta, Nov 10, 2006
    #3
  4. angusinalberta

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Re: Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 1

    angusinalberta wrote:
    >
    > So he gave me the number of their Canadian repair depot. It's now
    > winging its way to Montreal via Priority Post in a miniature coffin made
    > from a scrap piece of foam board.
    >


    Any miniature lilies in the coffin? :)

    Phil
     
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 12, 2006
    #4
  5. Re: Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 2

    Garmin's service center has had the unit for a week plus 1 day. Today I
    got a reply to my request for information.

    The good news is that they're sending a replacement as soon as they get
    one from their supplier. They don't say whether it will be new or
    refurbished. Refurbished will be fine.

    This sentence, copied exactly from the email, has me puzzled

    "The diagnostic of you GPS is quite simple, it is dead... The hard
    drive of the unit failed..."

    Hard drive??


    Angus
     
    angusinalberta, Nov 23, 2006
    #5
  6. angusinalberta

    4MLA1FN Guest

    Re: Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 1

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:39:54 GMT, angusinalberta <>
    wrote:

    >I hope that they'll tell me what had to be repaired. I'd guess it's a
    >fault in the voltage regulator circuit, perhaps something simple like a
    >cold solder joint that was destined to fail eventually.


    my 7month old vista cx died last weekend. was working on day, then
    wouldn't turn on the next morning. when i spoke to garmin, the tech
    asked if i'd been using it on an external supply. i was using the 12v
    cigarette lighter cable (as i do the majority of the time). she said
    that these kinds of failures with the etrexs seem to be correlated to
    the 12v adapter; perhaps they glitching or burning out or something. i
    sent in my etrex; they'll send me a replacement unit. they'll also
    send a new 12v adapter cable. very cool. hope it doesn't take
    forever.
     
    4MLA1FN, Nov 23, 2006
    #6
  7. angusinalberta

    4MLA1FN Guest

    Re: Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 2

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:31:31 GMT, angusinalberta <>
    wrote:

    >"The diagnostic of you GPS is quite simple, it is dead... The hard
    >drive of the unit failed..."
    >
    >Hard drive??


    that's really funny! you must have one of those hard-to-find legend
    cx/hd that doubles as an mp3 player and usb storage drive.
     
    4MLA1FN, Nov 23, 2006
    #7
  8. Etrex Legend Cx won't turn on - update 3

    Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > angusinalberta wrote:
    >>
    >> So he gave me the number of their Canadian repair depot. It's now
    >> winging its way to Montreal via Priority Post in a miniature coffin
    >> made from a scrap piece of foam board.
    >>

    >
    > Any miniature lilies in the coffin? :)
    >
    > Phil


    I just took delivery of the 'new' refurbished unit. It was shipped in
    the same coffin, not an ominous sign I hope. At least there weren't any
    lilies or daisies in the package. That would have been very
    disconcerting. A total of twenty-nine days have elapsed.

    The serial is ~6000 higher than the old one and they tossed in another
    64 MB memory card, which is ok. There are no marks or scratches on the
    case or screen. The firmware was V2.4 which I immediately updated to 2.6.

    The invoice offered no more information about what the defective part
    might have been other to repeat that it was dead. At least there was no
    mention of the hard drive this time.

    I'm surprised how much I missed the little guy. I hike bike or ski
    almost every day and had been keeping track of my outdoor activities
    since March. Now a full month of records is missing. Fingers crossed
    that this new one will be more reliable.

    Angus
     
    angusinalberta, Dec 11, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Burnie M
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    302
    Burnie M
    Aug 8, 2003
  2. David LeBlanc

    Nuvi780 - power switch won't turn unit off

    David LeBlanc, Apr 16, 2008, in forum: Garmin
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    236
    David LeBlanc
    Apr 17, 2008
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    349
  4. Ricardo Silva

    GPSMAP 60CS won't turn on

    Ricardo Silva, Aug 22, 2005, in forum: Global Navigation Satellite Systems
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    432
    Ricardo Silva
    Aug 24, 2005
  5. eTrex Legend won't turn on after short tumble

    , Dec 11, 2006, in forum: Global Navigation Satellite Systems
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    678
    Phil Wheeler
    Dec 12, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page