GPS Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Who was the pilot of Air Force Two in 1963?

 
 
Denis Morissette
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
(Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.

Thanks in advance.

Denis
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Denis Morissette wrote:
> I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.


The plane used as Air Force Two changed during 1963, if memory serves, and
the 757 didn't come along until 1982 or so. What plane did you have in
mind?

--
John Miller
My email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it.
-Abbie Hoffman

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 05:02 PM
It could not be a 757 - not make in 1963. Air Force One was a 707 in those
days. They are now 747s. Once Kennedy died, the plance LBJ was on was Air
Force One.


"Denis Morissette" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Denis



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck.K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.gps-forums.net/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Denis
>


First off, they didn't fly 757-200's in 1963 (as it didn't begin
flying until February of 1982). They flew 707's.

Second, Johnson flew in AF-1 (or more correctly, tail number 26000)
in 1963. It was just called AF-2 when the Vice President was onboard
(without the President).

Finally, the Pilot was Col. James Swindal, retired.

Chuck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Denis Morissette
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 10:53 PM
John Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bubpeg$4kv$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Denis Morissette wrote:
> > I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> > (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.

>
> The plane used as Air Force Two changed during 1963, if memory serves, and
> the 757 didn't come along until 1982 or so. What plane did you have in
> mind?


I am refering to the AF2 used to fly Johnson to Dallas on November 22, 1963.
Thanks.

Denis
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pieter Litchfield
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Chuck - your a genius! I know you are correct in stating that AF-1
designates (I believe) ANY plane carrying the President of the US. If he
changes planes, the one "normally" designated AF-1 is called only by its
tail #. I am quite sure that the executive aircraft were 707s back then.
How you came up with the pilot's name is anyone's guess.....

I learned everything I know from The History Channel (scary, ain't it)

"Chuck.K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> > (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Denis
> >

>
> First off, they didn't fly 757-200's in 1963 (as it didn't begin
> flying until February of 1982). They flew 707's.
>
> Second, Johnson flew in AF-1 (or more correctly, tail number 26000)
> in 1963. It was just called AF-2 when the Vice President was onboard
> (without the President).
>
> Finally, the Pilot was Col. James Swindal, retired.
>
> Chuck



 
Reply With Quote
 
PETERWOJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004, 12:56 AM
>I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
>(Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.


I don't know who the pilot was but I believe the airplane itself is in the Air
Force museum next to Tucson Arizona. I toured that plane and I believe it was
the one Kennedy and Jackie was using. Of course 757 didn't existed then, it was
707. If you call the museum they might know who the pilots were. I believe the
place is called Pima Air and Space Museum. That place is one of the biggest air
museums in US along Smithsonian in Washington DC and Dayton Ohio (been to all
three).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Denis Morissette
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004, 02:52 AM
"Pieter Litchfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<%xjOb.29593$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Chuck - your a genius! I know you are correct in stating that AF-1
> designates (I believe) ANY plane carrying the President of the US. If he
> changes planes, the one "normally" designated AF-1 is called only by its
> tail #. I am quite sure that the executive aircraft were 707s back then.
> How you came up with the pilot's name is anyone's guess.....
>
> I learned everything I know from The History Channel (scary, ain't it)
>
> "Chuck.K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> > > (Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Denis
> > >

> >
> > First off, they didn't fly 757-200's in 1963 (as it didn't begin
> > flying until February of 1982). They flew 707's.
> >
> > Second, Johnson flew in AF-1 (or more correctly, tail number 26000)
> > in 1963. It was just called AF-2 when the Vice President was onboard
> > (without the President).
> >
> > Finally, the Pilot was Col. James Swindal, retired.
> >
> > Chuck


Swindal piloted AF1. I would like to know who piloted AF2. I emailed
the Andrew Air Force, but they did not reply.

Denis
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Ness
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004, 03:01 AM
AF1, the one Kennedy and Johnson used is in Seattle.
At Boeing field - Museum of Flight.

VERY interesting tour and piece of history.


"PETERWOJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> >(Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.

>
> I don't know who the pilot was but I believe the airplane itself is in the Air
> Force museum next to Tucson Arizona. I toured that plane and I believe it was
> the one Kennedy and Jackie was using. Of course 757 didn't existed then, it was
> 707. If you call the museum they might know who the pilots were. I believe the
> place is called Pima Air and Space Museum. That place is one of the biggest air
> museums in US along Smithsonian in Washington DC and Dayton Ohio (been to all
> three).



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Yes it is very interesting. It is the little things like the spring
loaded clip that held President Johnson's cowboy hat and the doggie
door in his office door for his dog that really made it interesting to
me.

"Richard Ness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> AF1, the one Kennedy and Johnson used is in Seattle.
> At Boeing field - Museum of Flight.
>
> VERY interesting tour and piece of history.
>
>
> "PETERWOJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I'm looking for the name of the pilot (or pilots) of Air Force Two
> > >(Boeing 757-200) in 1963 that was carrying Vice-President Johnson.

> >
> > I don't know who the pilot was but I believe the airplane itself is in the Air
> > Force museum next to Tucson Arizona. I toured that plane and I believe it was
> > the one Kennedy and Jackie was using. Of course 757 didn't existed then, it was
> > 707. If you call the museum they might know who the pilots were. I believe the
> > place is called Pima Air and Space Museum. That place is one of the biggest air
> > museums in US along Smithsonian in Washington DC and Dayton Ohio (been to all
> > three).

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Force Polls Receiver Makers for Solutions to Satellite Problems Sam Wormley General GPS Discussion 1 07-02-2009 09:55 AM
Raytheon To Pursue Air Force Upgrade For NextGen GPS Control Segment Sam Wormley General GPS Discussion 0 03-13-2007 02:55 AM
The Air Force is planning to request proposals for the next phaseof GPS III Sam Wormley Global Navigation Satellite Systems 0 11-01-2005 08:52 PM
U.S. Air Force Awards Lockheed Martin Team $20 Million Contract for GPSIII development Sam Wormley Global Navigation Satellite Systems 2 01-07-2004 02:38 PM
GPS World Article: Air Force's Most Advanced Nav System Sam Wormley Global Navigation Satellite Systems 0 07-17-2003 01:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.