GPS Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

mapsource overzoom

 
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004, 08:18 AM

hello,
on my GPSMAP 60C when I navigate I can use the map
with 80 meters step. if I zoom more it says "overzoom"
even if the resolution is 5 meters as reported by the GPS.

how come does it happen ?

is this normal?

thanks

Rick


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Holger Issle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004, 08:24 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Rick wrote:

> on my GPSMAP 60C when I navigate I can use the map
> with 80 meters step. if I zoom more it says "overzoom"
> even if the resolution is 5 meters as reported by the GPS.


This depends on the map you loaded. Within the map, there is an
accuracy indicator, tell the system to what scale the map can be
considered good enough so the triangle on screen is really where you
are related to map details. Once you zoom in more, the map itself gets
wrong, even it seems to display more detailed. That is what overzoom
means. This is not important as long as you try to look at self
recorded data like waypoints or tracks.
--

Ciao,
Holger (GUS-KOTAL, GUS#1100)

90-92 Honda CB400 10 Mm | 93-95 Yamaha TDM 850 26 Mm
95-97 KTM 620 LC4 13 Mm | seit 97 BMW R1100GS 50 Mm (Die Renndrecksau!)

cu @ http://www.issle.de
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
thank you,
exactly I wanted to ask if you know how to tell the system
the scale the map can be considered good ?
Default is 80m, I'd liek to tell 10 meters, but I did not find
a way to do it...

thanks

Rick

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Holger Issle wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Rick wrote:
>
>> on my GPSMAP 60C when I navigate I can use the map
>> with 80 meters step. if I zoom more it says "overzoom"
>> even if the resolution is 5 meters as reported by the GPS.

>
> This depends on the map you loaded. Within the map, there is an
> accuracy indicator, tell the system to what scale the map can be
> considered good enough so the triangle on screen is really where you
> are related to map details. Once you zoom in more, the map itself gets
> wrong, even it seems to display more detailed. That is what overzoom
> means. This is not important as long as you try to look at self
> recorded data like waypoints or tracks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Plug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2004, 07:16 PM
The EPE (what I think you are referring to when you incorrectly say
resolution) is unrelated to the map. However the overzoom is an
indication of the map accuracy and the point at which it becomes
meaningless to zoom in any more.

If you repeatedly magnified a copy of a paper map on a photocopier you
might realise when you were "overzooming" - you wouldn't gain any
accuracy over the source map. But if you keep zooming in on
intersecting vector lines it is not so obvious so the system gives you
that indication.

You can't change the map accuracy so why would you want to change the
information? It doesn't really get in the way. Or do I misunderstand
your question?

Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> thank you,
> exactly I wanted to ask if you know how to tell the system
> the scale the map can be considered good ?
> Default is 80m, I'd liek to tell 10 meters, but I did not find
> a way to do it...
>
> thanks
>
> Rick
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Holger Issle wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Rick wrote:
> >
> >> on my GPSMAP 60C when I navigate I can use the map
> >> with 80 meters step. if I zoom more it says "overzoom"
> >> even if the resolution is 5 meters as reported by the GPS.

> >
> > This depends on the map you loaded. Within the map, there is an
> > accuracy indicator, tell the system to what scale the map can be
> > considered good enough so the triangle on screen is really where you
> > are related to map details. Once you zoom in more, the map itself gets
> > wrong, even it seems to display more detailed. That is what overzoom
> > means. This is not important as long as you try to look at self
> > recorded data like waypoints or tracks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed Mapsource, transferred map from my c340 gps to Mapsource and can't unlock the map. G.M. Durrence Garmin GPS 3 06-25-2008 12:30 PM
mapsource could not find any installed mapsource map products skaurin@gmail.com Garmin GPS 8 04-07-2007 09:02 AM
Mapsource mapping and Mapsource NT mapping- do they live together in harmony? Gyp UK GPS 2 01-20-2007 09:00 AM
Mapsource product preloaded - Can you use Mapsource program? Martin Garmin GPS 19 10-10-2006 06:15 PM
Garmin Mapsource Roads Recreation vs MAPSOURCE METROGUIDE USA V 5.00 Pavel General GPS Discussion 1 11-24-2003 01:51 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.