GPS Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

How long will garmin provide lifetime map update?

 
 
bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2011, 10:26 PM
My old gps is 5 years old and I'm running into addresses that it cannot
find. Otherwise, the gps still works fine.

I'm thinking of buying one of the lifetime map update gps. However, the
description of lifetime map update says the update is provided until the
end of the useful life of the device, or until garmin no longer receives
map data from its third party supplier.

Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?

The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
the third party supplier.

Has anyone purchased an early LM model and has reached the end of the
lifetime map update? If so, how many years did it last?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 12:27 AM
In article <j0kqjc$a85$(E-Mail Removed)>, bob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?


Defined by Garmin, as per its repair policies, or by third parties able
to repair them.

And then it's defined by *you*, when you evaluate the cost of repairing
(and either swapping the battery or living with an old practically dead
battery).


>
> The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
> sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
> the third party supplier.


Sure it can.

Don't buy ahead on a promise like that. Chances are that you'll want a
newer device anyway more quickly than you think, and that'll come with a
new map.

How often did you switch out your paper maps?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter H. Coffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 12:40 AM
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:26:49 -0700, bob wrote:
> My old gps is 5 years old and I'm running into addresses that it cannot
> find. Otherwise, the gps still works fine.
>
> I'm thinking of buying one of the lifetime map update gps. However, the
> description of lifetime map update says the update is provided until the
> end of the useful life of the device, or until garmin no longer receives
> map data from its third party supplier.
>
> Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?
>
> The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
> sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
> the third party supplier.
>
> Has anyone purchased an early LM model and has reached the end of the
> lifetime map update? If so, how many years did it last?


Pre-NT ("New Technology") devices can't get map updates to anything
except the base world map and Canada[1]. Which puts the proprietary CF and
disc-based StreetPilots, the first-generation eTrex units, and an
assortment of others of similar vintage. More or less, made in 2005 and
later is PROBABLY still eligible for updates, and my guess is that
you'll be okay with a recent model for at least another five years or
so, even if they started on a new mapping data structure with new models
released this year.

[1] Assertion based on about 10 minutes of research; may be in error.

--
For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?
-- Paul (I Corinthians 10:29)
 
Reply With Quote
 
H-M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 03:16 AM
The limitation of useful life is really the ability of your device to to
receive an update from the Garmin Website.
The Mapsets memory size have been growing significantly. This is not because
there is significantly more Map data,
rather because it is loaded with more points of interest (not necessarily
useful).
If the Garmin Update Website detects there is not enough memory on the
device it will not do the update.

This has already been a complaint on GPS websites because you don't have the
ability to just download
the mapset to your computer and then later select that portion of the new
mapset that will fit on your device.
I imagine this would be applcable to older non microSD card devices but I
have not tried it myself.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Joel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 03:18 AM
bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My old gps is 5 years old and I'm running into addresses that it cannot
> find. Otherwise, the gps still works fine.
>
> I'm thinking of buying one of the lifetime map update gps. However, the
> description of lifetime map update says the update is provided until the
> end of the useful life of the device, or until garmin no longer receives
> map data from its third party supplier.
>
> Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?
>
> The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
> sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
> the third party supplier.
>
> Has anyone purchased an early LM model and has reached the end of the
> lifetime map update? If so, how many years did it last?


Lifetime pretty much mean the life of the device or the life of the
manufacture.

- If your GPS is still working after 10 years and Garmin is still selling
GPS and providing the MAP compatible with your 10 years old GPS then you
continue upgrading the map.

- If your GPS dies after warrantee is over and you don't want to pay for the
repair, then it also the END of it's LIFE (lifetime is over).

Example if you own an older model (StreetPilot for example) and even it's
still working great, and it it doesn't work with newer MAP then the lifetime
is finished.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Op 26-7-2011 5:16, H-M schreef:
> The limitation of useful life is really the ability of your device to to
> receive an update from the Garmin Website.
> The Mapsets memory size have been growing significantly. This is not because
> there is significantly more Map data,
> rather because it is loaded with more points of interest (not necessarily
> useful).
> If the Garmin Update Website detects there is not enough memory on the
> device it will not do the update.
>
> This has already been a complaint on GPS websites because you don't have the
> ability to just download
> the mapset to your computer and then later select that portion of the new
> mapset that will fit on your device.
> I imagine this would be applcable to older non microSD card devices but I
> have not tried it myself.
>

your last remark is not correct. I download my lifetime update to my
nuvi and indicate in the process that I want the maps on my nuvi and my
pc. When the download and install is done to my pc I get a screen with
al lot of choices. On top is 'whole Europe'. When I select that one I
get a message that this to much for my nuvi, so I slect 'Western Europe'
and that fits perfect. In the list of possibilities are many more
smaller combinations the you can choose.
Thibaud

 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry@fishing.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:27:15 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <j0kqjc$a85$(E-Mail Removed)>, bob <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> Any idea how long the useful life of a new garmin gps is defined to be?

>
>Defined by Garmin, as per its repair policies, or by third parties able
>to repair them.
>
>And then it's defined by *you*, when you evaluate the cost of repairing
>(and either swapping the battery or living with an old practically dead
>battery).
>
>
>>
>> The clause "no longer receives map data from its third party supplier"
>> sounds a bit funny. Obviously, this can happen if garmin stops paying
>> the third party supplier.

>
>Sure it can.
>
>Don't buy ahead on a promise like that. Chances are that you'll want a
>newer device anyway more quickly than you think, and that'll come with a
>new map.
>
>How often did you switch out your paper maps?



And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't matter
if you bought lifetime updates last month.
--
Larry
Citrus Co. Fl.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Carl Heinz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:17:22 -0400, http://www.gps-forums.net/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
>format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't matter
>if you bought lifetime updates last month.


The same concern was expressed when Garmin first started the lifetime map
update program. They've since started including lifetime maps in many of
their products--but I'll stil stick with my StreetPilots that work with the NT
form. So far, so good.
--
Carl Heinz
(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove number)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Carl Heinz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
> >format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't matter
> >if you bought lifetime updates last month.

>
> The same concern was expressed when Garmin first started the lifetime map
> update program. They've since started including lifetime maps in many of
> their products


no, not really.

They've started offering BUNDLES of the "no extra charge for maps as
long as we decide to make them" feature with some of their products.
And the buyer pays more for those bundles.

The buyer can also opt not to buy it bundled like that, can opt to get
only the sat-nav unit itself, and pay less.

Same sat-nav both ways.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Lane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Carl Heinz wrote on Jul 27, 2011:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:17:22 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> And any time Garmin wants to start selling maps again they can change the
>> format of the map and it no longer works in your GPS. So it doesn't matter
>> if you bought lifetime updates last month.

>
> The same concern was expressed when Garmin first started the lifetime map
> update program. They've since started including lifetime maps in many of
> their products--but I'll stil stick with my StreetPilots that work with the

NT
> form. So far, so good.
>


I don't know why everyone seems so worried about this. The fact is that
according to the current pricing if you buy the Lifetime subscription and get
more than one update before your gps breaks, or you lose it, or Garmin turns
nasty, or whatever - you are still paying less than buying the updates
individually.

So if you would normally get updates regularly it will probably pay you to
get the Lifetime deal unless you are extremely unlucky. Why all the angst?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
mike_lane at mac dot com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What companies provide GPS map data? Ramon F Herrera General GPS Discussion 9 12-15-2006 11:26 PM
What companies provide GPS map data? Ramon F Herrera Global Navigation Satellite Systems 9 12-15-2006 11:26 PM
What companies provide GPS map data? Ramon F Herrera Garmin GPS 9 12-15-2006 11:26 PM
Garmin to Provide GPS Applications for Mobile Phone Users allory Garmin GPS 0 09-08-2005 03:31 PM
Garmin to Provide GPS Applications for Mobile Phone Users allory General GPS Discussion 0 09-08-2005 03:31 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 AM.