GPS Forums

getting nd-100 to work on win7

07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a two-year old nd-100 GPS device, and no longer have the disk for it. It worked fine on a Windows xp box two years ago. I am trying to get it to run on a new Windows 7 Home Premium Box.

I downloaded the driver (from usglobalsat) and ran that install; it says it ran successfully, but produced no program or desktop icons that I've been able to find. I plugged in the ND-100 device and got a message that its software was installed correctly. I can look in the Win7 hardware information and determine that the Prolific Serial-to-USB Comm Port is there on Com3 as is reasonable.

The laptop is new; I have no other USB devices plugged in except the mouse, and nothing forgotten from any time back.

I went back to the site where I downloaded the driver and downloaded the program GPSInfo; it runs and correctly identifies COM3; when I click start I get a short string of garbage characters repeated at 1-second intervals. This looks a lot like the GPS information at the wrong baud rate.

If I use the Win7 "Devices and Printers", I see that the com port has the right settings except for baud rate. The baud rate is 9600; if set it to 4800, click ok, start Devices and Printers again, and it still says 9600. Perhaps I don't have enough privilege, but Win7 hasn't said so, not that it's any good about doing that.

I tried setting the baud rate in the GPS Info program to 9600; I get a different string of garbage characters, but still garbage.

Can anyone point me to other things to try? It seems so close...

arcy