GPS Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Garmin Map 60CSx Battery Life

 
 
Crowe2000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I could
get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
different? They boast up to 30 hours

Anthony


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
qwerty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006, 07:36 PM

"Crowe2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eC3Gf.344$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I
> could
> get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
> different? They boast up to 30 hours


I've been using my 60CS for about 1 1\2 years now and I easily average in
the 20-30 hour range using cheapo standard alkaline batteries from Costco.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack Erbes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Crowe2000 wrote:

> Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I could
> get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
> different? They boast up to 30 hours


Alkaline cells have a higher starting voltage (1.5V) than NiMH cells
(1.2V). So fresh or fully charged NiMH cells might look like partially
depleted cells to the logic of the power monitoring circuit.

And after the voltage falls a little more it may even drop to the cutoff
voltage where the unit will shut itself off.

Did the GPS shut itself off or just give low battery warnings? If just
the warnings, I'd try ignoring them and seeing how long it takes before
the unit actually shuts itself off. It may go for a long time. Or it
may not, depending on what the shutdown voltage is set to.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Wheeler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 03:53 AM
qwerty wrote:
> "Crowe2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eC3Gf.344$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I
>>could
>>get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
>>different? They boast up to 30 hours

>
>
> I've been using my 60CS for about 1 1\2 years now and I easily average in
> the 20-30 hour range using cheapo standard alkaline batteries from Costco.
>
>


Are both sets of data with the sensors (compass + altimeter) on??

I would expect the new, more capable receiver (SiRF?) to take some more
power, but not 3x more.

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
jb@sympatico.ca
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 12:39 PM
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:06:57 -0600, "Crowe2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I could
>get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
>different? They boast up to 30 hours
>
>Anthony
>


What capacity cells/charger are you using?

Garmin's website advertises " Battery life: 18 hours (typical use) using
two AA alkaline batteries" for the Map 60CSx, but this might be for the 'battery
saver' mode (I'm not at all certain of this).

With Energizer 2500 cells, charged using a Maha C401-FS charger, I was
seeing run times of 17.5 to 18 hours. This was in the 'normal' mode, no back
light, compass off, WAAS off and the unit was stationary during that time.

Using the same cells (same conditions) in a Map 60CS, run time was 26
hours (Garmin advertise 20 hours for this model).

Although this is a substantial reduction in run time, when we expect
increased run times with new models, as was the case until the x series, the
improved reception is desirable, but I didn't expect such a reduction as this.

The reduction in run time with this model was anticipated, as the 'Alarm
Clock' feature of the 60CS is not in the CSx menu - it won't run long enough
under it's own power to be useful.

Some observations on this particular 60CSx:

Quirk: A longer button press is required to turn it on, with nothing appearing
to happen for a second or two.

Quirk: Depending upon which mode it was last used (day/night) and it is turned
on in the other time period, it won't change to the proper mode (day/night)
until it locks on to the sats.

New feature: Can be powered through the USB port.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Helge Olav Helgesen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 07:27 PM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:39:45 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Some observations on this particular 60CSx:


I have to turn it off and on again each time I drive thru a tunnel. Have
you seen this?

I've also had one lock-up. I had to remove the batteries to get it back
on. Earlier (with 60CS) I could hold down the power button for a few secs
to force it to power down.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Helge Olav Helgesen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 07:30 PM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 03:00:07 +0100, Jack Erbes <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Did the GPS shut itself off or just give low battery warnings? If just
> the warnings, I'd try ignoring them and seeing how long it takes before
> the unit actually shuts itself off. It may go for a long time. Or it
> may not, depending on what the shutdown voltage is set to.


The UPS can be configured to use both Alkaline and NiMH. Since it does not
charge the batteries my guess is that it adjusts the battery gauge and the
low-bat warnings.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jb@sympatico.ca
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:27:07 +0100, "Helge Olav Helgesen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:39:45 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Some observations on this particular 60CSx:

>
>I have to turn it off and on again each time I drive thru a tunnel. Have
>you seen this?
>
>I've also had one lock-up. I had to remove the batteries to get it back
>on. Earlier (with 60CS) I could hold down the power button for a few secs
>to force it to power down.


Nothing like that (yet). I tried a simulation (no tunnels) by placing
the unit in a stainless steel saucepan (lid on) for several minutes. Upon
removing the lid, the no sat. warning was seen briefly before the signal
strength increased.

Have you updated the firmware?

GPSMAP 60CSx Ver. 2.50 as of January 23, 2006

Fixed compatibility issues with preprogrammed data cards. Some cards may not
unlock properly with software version 2.40.

Unmentioned bugs might also be fixed in this version.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Helge Olav Helgesen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:08:12 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nothing like that (yet). I tried a simulation (no tunnels) by placing
> the unit in a stainless steel saucepan (lid on) for several minutes. Upon
> removing the lid, the no sat. warning was seen briefly before the signal
> strength increased.


My tunnel is about 1 km. long. I get "satelitte lost" inside the tunnel.
Usually when I get out it aquires a fix within a few seconds but dies
within a minute.

This seems to happend often if I am driving on directions. (in a route)

I spoke with the norwegian distributor that have seen the problem on other
units (SP I think!) but not on this one

> Have you updated the firmware?
> GPSMAP 60CSx Ver. 2.50 as of January 23, 2006


Yes. No change.
 
Reply With Quote
 
qwerty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006, 11:10 PM

"Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KWdGf.10479$(E-Mail Removed)...
> qwerty wrote:
>> "Crowe2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eC3Gf.344$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Tested this twice using Energizer NiMH rechargeable batteries. Most I
>>>could
>>>get out of the unit was 8 hours (no light on). Is anyone seeing anything
>>>different? They boast up to 30 hours

>>
>>
>> I've been using my 60CS for about 1 1\2 years now and I easily average in
>> the 20-30 hour range using cheapo standard alkaline batteries from
>> Costco.

>
> Are both sets of data with the sensors (compass + altimeter) on??


You can turn off the altimeter? Although I usually have the magnetic
compass off, I've used it with both the compass on or off and haven't
experienced that great a difference in battery life. I average at least 2
hours a day, 7 days a week, and a set of batteries easily last 2 weeks or
more. Having WAAS on or off doesn't make that big of a difference either. I
stand by my comments above.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60CSX battery life? (UK) Broadback Garmin GPS 9 07-08-2009 08:29 PM
60CSx battery life test Roy Lewallen Global Navigation Satellite Systems 4 07-11-2006 11:03 PM
Garmin battery life 60c - 60Cx hermans General GPS Discussion 1 02-26-2006 04:09 PM
garmin ique 3600 battery life nospam@wtez.net General GPS Discussion 6 08-29-2005 05:30 PM
Garmin MAP device comparisons, iQue 3600 Battery life Erkki Eerola General GPS Discussion 0 07-22-2004 05:20 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 PM.